Friday, August 19, 2011

Abina and the Important Men

Written by Trevor R. Getz and published by Oxford University Press, this is a history book with a difference. Based on a court transcript, it tells the story of a young woman who lived in the Gold Coast (Ghana) in the 19th century. She was enslaved but she not only escaped, she took her former master to court to fight to have her story and her voice heard.

The book consists of an illustrated story based on these events along with the historical and educational text. You can find out more about it at the website http://www.abina.org/.

It's due for release 2 September 2011 and can be ordered from Amazon, Barnes & Noble or Oxford University Press.



Book details:

Paperback: 208 pages
Publisher: Oxford University Press, USA (September 2, 2011)
ISBN-10: 0199844399
ISBN-13: 978-0199844395


Artwork copyright Oxford University Press

5 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed the illustrations, how difficult was composing up characters and environments with little pictures and wood carvings to inspire you? What did inspired from this novel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed them.

      I was working from Trevor Getz's excellent script, and of course telling Abina's story, so inspiration wasn't a problem! Designing the look of the characters wasn't too different from doing so for a work of fiction, despite the need for historical accuracy in their appearance and the knowledge that these were real people: I was guided by their actions in the script, their personality traits and backgrounds. I had to take a couple of passes at designing some of the environments, as you can see in the 'preliminary sketches' section of www.abina.org, with the assistance of available images and Professor Getz's expertise.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for responding so soon!!
    I guess it was still a bit early for me, I did not proof read. However you did answer my semi-incoherent question lol
    I'm an artist as well, drawing, charcoal, oil, but im moving toward film editing. I do complex 4-7 color stencils, they are a lot of fun.
    Good Luck on your Future Artwork Endeavors!!

    if you go on youtube check out my channel =)
    I'm sure i have something you would like, music video,spoken word sports
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jefilms11

    ReplyDelete